St. Charles Public Library Historic Restoration, Renovation & Expansion
Woolpert · St. Charles, IL
Overview
The original St. Charles Public Library was funded by Andrew Carnegie's historic philanthropic program and opened in 1908. The Carnegie Library quickly became a local cultural landmark, but it was marginalized by insensitive library additions in the 1960s and 1980s. This project corrects those missteps by fully reintegrating the original Carnegie library space into daily library activities while completely updating library services within a cost-effective gut renovation.
The original St. Charles Public Library was funded by Andrew Carnegie's historic philanthropic program and opened in 1908. The Carnegie Library quickly became a local cultural landmark, but it was marginalized by insensitive library additions in the 1960s and 1980s. This project corrects those missteps by fully reintegrating the original Carnegie library space into daily library activities while completely updating library services within a cost-effective gut renovation. The design team strategically organized a modest addition along the axis of the original Carnegie Library to create a new interior path that directly connects the library entry to the Carnegie. Staff and other back-of-house spaces are organized around the building's edges to consolidate public space and maximize flexibility that will allow the library to adapt to future library needs. The lower level Childrens Services space was completely revitalized by adding an outdoor courtyard that floods the formerly windowless space with daylight and creates a secure outdoor space for programming. The courtyard is fronted by a transparent public meeting room that opens to a new grand reading room adapted from the building's only two-story space. The project also features a completely redone site that maximizes parking near the entry and adds the library's first drive-up service window.
Gallery